Friday, December 20, 2013

Poppin' tags, ditchin' scales

I'm finishing up my Christmas shopping and I see this sign:

"Buy one, get one FREE high waisted jeans!"

Umm, yes please! I've got a thing for anything high waisted - jeans, skirts and I have the cutest high waisted bikini! (That's a whole different topic for another post but it's perfect for you mamas out there who want to get into a two piece but are self conscious about your stretch marks.) Anyways...so what's Christmas without buying yourself a thing or two? So off I go into the dressing room with jeans of multiple sizes. Being a woman who lifts weights you just never know how pants are going to fit or what size you'll fit into. Dem quads, hammies and glutes sure don't like skinny jeans, it's a wonder why I even try anymore.

After trying on a few pairs I finally found my size. Now don't be jealous ladies. I mean, keep in mind I do workout up to 5 times a week and follow a pretty strict diet. I can actually cry over the thought of pancakes and ice cream. It's not without dedication and discipline on a daily basis that you're rewarded with such a sweet little number.

So proudly I announce my size...10. No, I didn't accidentally type a one in front of that zero. I'm wearing a size 10.

Ok, so really it wasn't that big of a surprise to me. First of all I was shopping at Charlotte Russe, a store packed full of clothing for gals who normally fit into a size 4 with no problem. You know, when you can pick up jeans and they fit just right. When your jeans don't give you that horizontal line beneath your booty that cuts right into the back of your thighs. I hate that! Or when your jeans fit your waist and your thighs. Oh, I'm green with envy!! How I miss easy shopping trips before squats entered my life. Now I have jeans that fit my thighs but are way loose around my waist. ......Ok, what I actually have is leggings. Leggings don't give me any fuss. Leggings are a CrossFitter chicks closet staple!

So here I am, an athlete of 20+ years who currently is CrossFitting and lifting weights anywhere between 3-5 days a week, low body fat percentage, eating a gluten free and paleo diet, while also starring at a tag with double digits. WhAaAaAaAt? Clearly I need to lose some weight. Clearly I need to start counting my calories better and maybe even run every day from here on out. I'll replace my barbell with more time on the elliptical for sure.

It's a tragedy to me to think that there are so many women in department store dressing rooms promising themselves that they'll do whatever it takes to fit into those coveted size 2 jeans. Or starring at themselves in their bathroom mirror hating their bodies. Hating the person they see. Going as far as starving themsleves or drinking shakes for meals. All for a tag. All for a number. All because society and magazines have convinced the 21st century woman that skeletal is perfection.

Now don't get me wrong..some women naturally have low body fat and little muscle mass (while doing little cardio, eating plenty, doing clean and jerks, and box jumps to their heart’s content). Some of these women are also pretty amazing athletes.

So I'm 5'5", sporting a size 10 and weigh 135-140 lbs. Whenever someone asks my weight they are shocked by my response. Crazy, I'm fitter than I've ever been with low body fat and I'm 140 lbs? That's why BMI charts suck. They don't care how many kettlebells you can swing or what you can deadlift or what your 1k row time is. All it cares about is your weight. Jason Khalips (second fittest man on Earth) said: "My life-insurance policy went up $98 a month after my BMI was checked. Blood work, body fat, overall fitness - not important."

140 lbs - clearly I'm a good 20 lbs overweight, right? Do I look like what you think 140 lbs looks like? What does that look like? Is it healthy? Does it matter? All I care about is what top I'm going to wear with these size 10 jeans!


DISCLAIMER
No, this is not a stab at you skinny girls. No, CrossFit is not the best exercise regimen for everyone. No, I am not better than you. No, I don't think you're an idiot because you enjoy running or using the elliptical. No, I don't think it's wrong that you're natually skinny. No, I don't think you're gross for being too skinny or too fat. No, I don't think I'm perfect. No, I'm not a professional, these are just my opinions. I love you all! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment